Monday, January 9, 2017

Bright Side (Bright Side #1) | Kim Holden


WARNING. THIS IS NOT SPOILER FREE. DO NOT CONTINUE READING UNLESS YOU WANT THE SPOILERS!

Goodreads Synopsis 

Secrets. 
Everyone has one. 
Some are bigger than others. 
And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you ... 
And some will end you. 

Kate Sedgwick’s life has been anything but typical. She’s endured hardship and tragedy, but throughout it all she remains happy and optimistic (there’s a reason her best friend Gus calls her Bright Side). Kate is strong-willed, funny, smart, and musically gifted. She’s also never believed in love. So when Kate leaves San Diego to attend college in the small town of Grant, Minnesota, the last thing she expects is to fall in love with Keller Banks. 

They both feel it. 
But they each have a reason to fight it. 
They each have a secret. 

And when secrets are revealed, 
Some will heal you … 
And some will end you. 


I figured today would be a decent day to do a review for this book. I got it from Kindle Unlimited after seeing it in the Colleen Hoover facebook group. I like to go into Colleen Hoover completely blind so I decided to the same thing with this one since a lot of people compare Kim Holden to the queen that is Colleen Hoover and her books are the best if you go into them completely blind. This was the biggest mistake that I could have possibly done at this time in my life. It's not because this was a terrible book because it's not, and I plan on reading the other two..way on down the road. I'm not in a good mental state to read stuff like this at the moment. Let me explain.
Right before Christmas, my mom had to have a biopsy done on her right breast. We didn't want to wait until today (Jan. 9th) to get the results, so we snuck around and got the results earlier than that. It was positive.
Now this book...the main character Kate..
She has cancer.
Untreatable cancer. 
The entire time I was reading this book, I was hoping that the ending that came wouldn't.
I loved Kate. 
I loved Keller.
I made the mistake of reading this at work and I slowly became a slobbering mess of a person. 
I wasn't ready for that bomb to drop and I wasn't expecting it. I think that's what the author was going for. Don't mistake this for oh no I didn't like this book. Because I did. I loved it. There a moment when I was reading where I was like "Okay, I'm going to put this down and come back to it later whenI'm ready for this mentally." but I just couldn't. I was so addicted to this book I couldn't put it down. I do plan on going on and reading Gus which is the next book in this series but I can't do that to myself at this particular moment.
 If you're in a better place than I am mentally, I would absolutely recommend this book. Pick it up. You won't be disappointed. Just get ready to cry more than what you did with The Fault in Our Stars

5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment