Saturday, September 24, 2016

Every Exquisite Thing | Matthew Quick

Lately, I have decided that I don't like listening to public radio, at all. So when I'm not listening to Hamilton (I have a two hour commute everyday) I've been listening to audiobooks. While, audible is great and all, I can go through several audiobooks in a month. I'm a poor raccoon owner so my library's (very good) audiobook selection comes in super handy. So I listened to the audio version of this during the booktubeathon.

The Goodreads Synopsis: 

Didn’t you ever just simply want to…stop?

Star athlete and straight-A student Nanette O’Hare has played the role of dutiful daughter for as long as she can remember. But one day, a beloved teacher gives her his worn copy of The Bubblegum Reaper—a mysterious, out-of-print cult classic—and the rebel within Nanette awakens.

As the new and outspoken Nanette attempts to insert her true self into the world with wild abandon, she befriends the reclusive author and falls in love with a young, troubled poet. Forced to make some hard choices that bring devastating consequences, Nanette learns the hard way that rebellion can sometimes come at a high price.

First, I need to tell you that I'm pretty sure that my fellow car drivers probably reported me to the local police because through out this entire audiobook..I was screaming at Nan, I was crying with Nan, I just felt like Nan was someone whom I actually know but in reality..I think I am Nan in a way. Everyone is. Seriously, I can relate to Nan, everyone is trying to make decisions for her, and she's forced to be a certain way and that just makes her want to scream in the book. Hell, it makes me want to scream..actually, I DID scream and it made me feel good when I did from the comfort of my own car. Matthew Quick is the master at writing misfit characters and this was no exception. My favorite part of this book was the quote "Just because you are good at something, doesn't mean you have to do it." Seriously, that spoke to me on so many different levels, and I love how the main character reading a book caused this spiral of thinking for Nan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment