Thursday, October 13, 2016

Replica | Lauren Oliver

Goodreads Synopsis:  

Gemma has been in and out of hospitals since she was born. 'A sickly child', her lonely life to date has revolved around her home, school and one best friend, Alice. But when she discovers her father's connection to the top secret Haven research facility, currently hitting the headlines and under siege by religious fanatics, Gemma decides to leave the sanctuary she's always known to find the institute and determine what is going on there and why her father's name seems inextricably linked to it.  Amidst the frenzy outside the institute's walls, Lyra - or number 24 as she is known as at Haven - and a fellow experimental subject known only as 72, manage to escape. Encountering a world they never knew existed outside the walls of their secluded upbringing , they meet Gemma and, as they try to understand Haven's purpose together, they uncover some earth-shattering secrets that will change the lives of both girls forever.. 

Okay this book is going around and it's really hyped up right now and that’s for a reason. This book is pretty cool. There are several different ways to read it. You can read either one of the stories straight through and then go and read the other one..or you can do what I did which was I read a chapter of Lyra's story and then I flipped over and read a chapter of Gemma's story and I just kept flipping back and forth until I finished both stories at around the same time.. I think this is the way to do it if you're planning on reading this book. However, if I could go back I would start with Gemma and then flip to Lyra. Lyra's an interesting character and while I did like her..I feel like I would have been happy with just Gemma. I LOVE Gemma. She's a more complex character. I'm not really sure if I want to call this book dystopian or not. I feel like it would fit the bill rather well with the "replica's" and all. The romance in this book felt rushed and I was much more invested in Gemma's health story and WHY they were doing what they were to the replica's. I feel like if the book was about a day or so longer in the timeline it would have been a better place to stop and then continue the book on in the sequel. I am 99.99 percent sure with an ending like Miss Oliver gave me there will be a sequel and unlike all the other Lauren Oliver books I have read, I have liked this one the most! Also, do yourself a favor and go to a bookstore and look at the hardcover edition. It is so pretty! :)  

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment