Thursday, October 13, 2016

Stalking Jack the Ripper | Kerri Maniscalco

Goodreads Synopsis:  Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.  Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world. 

This book was a recent release (September 20..same day as my birthday, yay!) and I felt like it would be something good read so close to Halloween...well, one thing is for sure, I wasn't wrong. I'm a major wimp when it comes to thrillers or horror books, I like to give myself anxiety attacks to the point where I get next to zero sleep. I loved the Shades of London series so I thought that this would be a safe subject for me to read. I was correct. NO NIGHTMARES FOR SAMMEH!! Which was AWESOME. So, this book is set in London around the time that the Jack the Ripper murders were happening. The MC, Audrey finds herself in the middle of the murders. This book has it's own take of who did it and why, and it takes sort of a Frankenstein/odd approach. I won't ruin the ending, but it was a lovely ending to a rather gruesome book.   One thing I didn't like about this book was the fact that some of the tag lines I've seen for this novel was something along the lines of "Jack the Ripper with a dash of romance" or something like that. I was under the strange impression that Audrey falls in love with Jack, and she goes stalker on him. Kinda like some sort of twisted Bellatrix love story. Lettme tell you right now.. This is NOT what happened!! The love interest is another character named Thomas who is supposed to be some sort of genius, and it was supposed to be sort of a love/hate relationship that I just didn't feel the chemistry for which is okay, I guess. Not everyone is going to get it.  However, this book will be great for people who love Maureen Johnson's Shades of London series while they wait for the final book. I loved it for the entertainment it gave me at work when I had downtime, and I do plan on allowing one of my friends to borrow my copy so she can read it as well, so I do recommend it! :)   4/5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment